The official message for
29 April 2019
When dancing, people sometimes transcend to the realm of the supernatural; music and movement combined fuse body and mind to an elevated state. This ecstatic experience liberates, extends deeper into one’s inner dimension, uniting the person with the universe.
When creating, choreographers sometimes succeed in producing in the spectator a connection with the sacred, the esoteric, the superbly unknown. Further than recreation and art, dance then becomes a vehicle of elevated conscience, a quest for the ultimate meaning. Such choreography leads beyond the observable, the experienced and the known.
Deliades – dancing nymphs on the island of Delos in ancient Greece. Devadasis – temple attendants preserving classical traditions Bharatanatyam and Odissi in India. Sufi Dervishes – followers of the Persian poet Rumi, with their whirling dance. Aztec priests “singing with the feet” in pre-Hispanic Mexico. Spirituality has always been present in dancing.
Presently we witness the rapid proliferation of liturgical dance, especially in the Americas. Dance returns as practice of worship, physical form of prayer, expression of devotion to God. Thousands of ministers-choreographers are trained and establish their own congregations. In some places dance ministries outnumber conventional dance schools.
The theme we propose for Dance Day and for events in 2019 is Dance and Spirituality.
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
- The official message for Dance Day is mailed to dance professionals in 200 countries. Ask for a translation or translate the message to your language; send it to the media. You can find guidelines for your own celebration as well as previous DD messages at www.danceday.CID-portal.org
- Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day, dance professionals organize an activity addressing an audience different from their usual one.
– The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
– Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
– CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
– CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
International Dance Council – Conseil International de la Danse
CID c/o UNESCO, 1 rue Miollis, FR-75732 Paris 15, France
Tel. +33 1 4568 4953 Mob. +33 6 1155 3111
ExecSec@CID-portal.org www.CID-world.org www.danceday.CID-portal.org
Χορεύοντας με τους Αρχαίους Ελληνες
Παράσταση αρχαίου χορού, 25 Ιανουαρίου ώρα 19:00 στο Δημαρχείο Παλαιού Φαλήρου (Τερψιχόρης 51 και Αρτέμιδος) από την Ομάδα Αρχαίας Ορχησης του Θεάτρου «Δόρα Στράτου», είσοδος ελεύθερη. Διοργάνωση Τμήματος Πειραιά του CID.